Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Definition of "Cool"

Sometimes, when I'm doing my normal thing - grocery shopping, housework, paying bills, getting gas, buying stamps - I have this urge to prove that I am still "cool."

Today I felt very un-cool as I walked in to pay our electric bill. This morning I got up, did a load of dishes and threw on a t-shirt and jeans so I could quickly go to the bank, pay the bill, run to the post office and swing by work to pick up some things. My intent was to be gone no longer than 45 minutes, so I could make it back home and get all my cleaning done before 2 p.m.

To say the least, I looked frumpy. My hair was dirty, I wore very little make-up and grungy clothes...so un-cool. The bored teenage girl behind the counter at the utility place had her eyebrow and lip pierced. She was wearing a cute top, had on those stylish new jeans and bright red nail polish. Oh, and her hair looked clean. She definitely beat me on the cool factor.

Just as I was feeling very "ugh" I remembered my cool-ness weapon...my tattoo! At the time I got it, I definitely didn't have "cool" on my mind - I had simply been dreaming about getting for two years and felt it was the right time. Now it's my secret weapon to proving to the world that yes, I am an old (23...not too old right?) married woman with bills and a job and responsibility...but I'm still capable of coolness.

I flashed my wrist at the bored cashier and smiled as she looked appreciatively at my stars tattoo. Ha! How's that for cool?

0 comments: