Well, we survived the volleyball tournament. It was a busy, but very rewarding weekend and everything went very well considering it was our first year running the tournament. We spent the entire day Saturday setting up the nets, poles and courts. It really takes a lot more organization and planning than I ever would have guessed to set up!
After a long, sweaty, sunburny day we headed home to shower and get ready to go back to the church grounds to enjoy the picnic. We grabbed some supper (our only meal of the day because we were so busy) and shared a couple of drinks with the other committee members.
Sunday we were up early so we could get things ready. The first groups started showing up around 9:15 a.m. as we had the first matches scheduled for 10 a.m. The brackets all worked out well and everyone seemed to have fun with their match-ups. We were so happy that all the teams showed up! (Some of them hadn't paid in advance as they were supposed to and all of a sudden rain was forecasted so we were worried some wouldn't show.)
In between our running around to keep the teams and matches on schedule, we were able to spend time family who stopped by to watch the tournament...and of course taste some yummy food! The championship match got underway around 4:30 p.m. just as storm clouds started rolling in from the West. Thankfully, the teams were able to finish up their match and we got the nets and poles down with about 30 seconds to spare before the thunder, lighting and pouring rain hit.
We had a very successful tournament, with close to $600 raised in entry fees and approximately $90 raised in water and Gatorade sales. We also had a couple teams donate their prize winnings back to the church and of course most of the teams ate/drank/participated in the silent auction/had kids play games etc. so they were donating money to the church. That's the whole point of the tournament - to get people on the grounds, spending money. Looks like it was a very successful picnic overall!
I'm sure we'll run the tournament again next year, now that we've got our feet wet and have a taste for what it takes to get things organized. It was a nice experience and felt great to be giving back to the church - we had lots of thanks and compliments from players, so that encourages us all the more to do it next year! Here's some pics....
We had 10 teams in Class B and three teams in Class C....
Mark enjoying a walking taco during a quick break from his running around!
Randy and Kris' team.Vacation
We not only had a busy weekend, but Mark's had a busy couple weeks at work with EAA in Oshkosh. He's had so many rentals to get organized and lots of stress with it. He put in more than 50 hours last week and went in this morning to work at 6 a.m. I've had my usual stresses with work and long hours, so we're super excited to be going on vacation!!!
We leave Wednesday morning for Wisconsin Dells and will stay till late Friday. I can't wait to relax and spend time with my hubby! The Dells are very special to us - we went there to celebrate "One Year Till we Get Married," we stayed for a weekend for the "Brother/Sister Outing" last year and we went there on our honeymoon. Now we're going in early celebration of "One Year of Marriage" We also hope it will be our last vacation just the two of us. (Wink, wink.)
Wedding Bands
Though things have been fine with us lately - very little fighting - I was a little upset to learn (as I was getting ready this morning) that he "forgot" to wear his wedding ring to work today. Argh. It may be a stupid little thing, but it bothers me. He "forgot" twice last week and a couple more times over the last two months.
Mark takes his ring off before bed because too often he was sleeping on his hand and cut off circulation to his ring finger! I'm fine with that and give him a little reminder to put in on every morning when he kisses me goodbye before work. I reminded him this morning and he said he would grab it...but there it was on his nightstand when I got up for work!
If he had a job, say, in a factory or working on a farm where it would get very dirty or be very dangerous for him to wear the ring I wouldn't mind if he didn't. The fact is, he works as a Rental Agent at a Car Dealership and does nothing dangerous or dirty unless you count occasionally scrubbing bugs off cars. So, I think he should wear it every day not only as an expression of our love but as a reminder of the promise we made to each other.
I rarely take my ring off...in fact I think the last time I did was when we went white water rafting and I didn't want to worry about losing it. That turned out to be a mistake though, because apparently I've developed a habit of "adjusting" my ring with my thumb and that day every time I went to do that and remembered my ring was gone I got a little panicky. Anyway, point is - he should be wearing that ring. I'm going to have a chat with him about it though I'm sure he'll get all defensive and accuse me of making a big deal out of nothing. Oh well.
Hope you all have a great week..I'm sure I won't be posting until Saturday or so when I'll (maybe) share some pics from our fun vacation! Ciao!





0 comments:
Post a Comment