Thursday, September 18, 2008

The best babysitter in the whole wide world...

...that's me! Heard those words last night from my sweet nephew. Really, how could I not have loads of fun when I love these kids so much?



Though the evening was fun, it was also a bit hectic. It all started with a favor to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law who are celebrating their 11th wedding anniversary. They simply wanted a night by themselves to go out to eat and relax. Fine. I volunteered to watch their four kids, who just happen to be some of my favorite kids in the whole wide world.

That promise turned into a bit more than I bargained for when they asked me to be at the house by 3:30 p.m. I got there and learned that two of the kids my sister-in-law babysits for (in her home) would not be picked up until 4:30 p.m. Yikes! That meant I spent an entire hour with six kids ages 8, 6, 5, 3, almost 3, and 18 months.

Factor in that three of those kids had just gotten off the bus and were huuuuuuuuungry. Those same three kids also had homework and parent reading time that needed to be taken care. The younger three insisted on climbing on the table, climbing on the kitchen island, climbing onto the back of the reclining chair, climbing the staircase banister and well, basically climbing anything they deemed climb-able.

I quickly set to work tossing school shoes and backpacks into piles, dishing out brownies, apples, and popcorn (they didn't get all three, just a choice), removing climbers from their climbing objects and filling sippy cups and glasses with milk. Whew! I was warm and cranky and overwhelmed.

I nearly cried out with relief when two of the climbers were picked up by their respective parents, leaving me with just one climber (my adorable Godson) and three hungry, just home from school, needing homework done kids.

We quickly did Trent's homework (a worksheet and some reading) and I whipped out my special weapon - Spiderman/Batman/Transformers coloring sheets I'd printed from my home computer. The three boys happily painted/colored/markered their coloring sheets while I encouraged Olivia to begin her homework while I started making Mac & Cheese for supper. The kids ate and the boys were ushered off to their playroom so I could get some quality homework time in with Olivia, who seems to struggle with math and reading.

About 45 minutes later her homework was done (3 relatively easy worksheets that she claimed were pure torture to complete). I let her start painting her coloring sheet (a butterfly to match her bedroom theme) while the boys and I alternated playing Hi-Ho-Cherry-o, watching Free Willy II and wrestling (ouch).

Finally, I managed to get the older three to take showers while convincing almost 3-year old Jade that he should definitely go potty before bed. They were all tucked in, hugged and kissed by 8 p.m. I picked up the mess we'd made, gazed lovingly at the masterpieces they'd created and quickly decided that while I might be the best babysitter in the whole wide world...I really needed a nap!

0 comments: