Monday, December 22, 2008

His Side of the Bed

I know this to be true: every couple has a nightly bedtime routine that involves the woman snuggling in on her side of the bed, the man in his. I have never heard of a couple "switching it up." (Please let me know if you have because I personally want to meet a switching couple, should one exist, and ask them WHY?!)

My husband and I have the routine and it works out perfectly fine. Except for last night. When Mark innocently suggested we switch sides. Switch sides.

Doesn't he realize this would upset the very balance of the universe? Switch sides? As in, me sleeping on the right side of the bed? No way! I'd fall off. Simply put, I'd wake up in the middle of the night, freak out and roll right out of bed. I refused.

Now, I'll give him points because he really had a legitimate reason for wanting to switch sides. You see we have a very large, very drafty window at the head of our bed...actually it's just above his side. We usually winterize it with heavy duty plastic to prevent drafts, but we didn't see the point in doing that this year with the move to our new house quickly approaching.

So last night's 20 mile per hour winds and -10 degree temperatures made his side of the bed a frosty freezy place to be...and I refused to switch. Oh, I tried to help him. I dug out a very warm winter cap (with ear flaps) and suggested he wear it along with a hooded sweatshirt to bed to keep his head and ears warm. He did not take kindly to my suggestions but, after 15 minutes of begging, realized I wasn't going to switch sides.

He, very huffily, moved his pillows to the foot of the bed and slept there. With my feet in his face and vice versa. Before he drifted off to sleep, he begged/pleaded/whined with me to join him at the foot of the bed.

Yea. Right.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny. Actually when I was pregnant with my first child, my husband and I switched sides because you are suppose to lay on the left side and I always slept on the right and my husband cuddled me. Well, I have to sleep facing out of the bed so we switched, which the first few nights felt weird, but two years later, it is still how we sleep! So, switching may not always be totally bad! =)