Sunday, May 4, 2008

Busy Weekend


Mark and I spent a lot of time talking this weekend. I'm still not sure we've figured everything out, but at least we've re-opened the lines of communication. This is what marriage is all about, right? We found time, amid all that talking, to actually get some serious work done!


We spent the entire day on Saturday clearing out the upstairs of my parent's house and removing the siding and insulation. I'm so excited that my parents are finally building their dream house, but I have very mixed emotions about the demise of the house I grew up in! Mom and I spent two hours just working on my room yesterday. We went through boxes and boxes of memories and while it was so hard to let some of it go, it also felt like a fresh start.


We donated more than 40 boxes and two truck loads of items to Hilbert's St. Vincent DePaul. I love, love, love the idea of "recycling" our toys, clothes, and other non-necessity items and it's a great feeling to know that someone in our community will find a new use for them. Though we donated a lot, we still had a huge trailer of garbage and junk. We were able to burn some of the non-toxic stuff in dad's burn pit, but I still feel pretty guilty about the stuff that's ending up in the landfill. I'm really on this "go green" kick lately. I just want to do my part to ensure that our future is bright for my kids and my kid's kids.


So, I was thrilled to be able to recycle all of the siding and insulation that we tore off of my parent's house. My "brother from another mother" Ryan will use all of it on his house in Hilbert. Ryan will also use the windows from the house and my dad plans to use some of the lumber he collects when it's actually torn down to build another new shed in the near future. I love that my parents are very conscious of their impact on the environment and are always looking for ways to reduce, reuse and recycle. The other day my dad asked me to find a place that would take their old computer because he didn't want to have to worry about it sitting in a landfill. Glad to help!!


It was a great day spent with my parents, my brothers Ben and Ryan and my husband, Mark. We had lots of laughs and so many memories were shared. We realized that though we're tearing down the house where my family shared so many "firsts," soon there will be a new home to create many more memories in. My parents have worked so hard...they deserve to have their dreams come true!


As of now: the upstairs of the house is completely cleaned out and pretty much gutted, with carpeting ripped up and windows torn out. My parents will continue to live in the downstairs for a few more days before they'll move out to the fixed-up shop area connected to the garage. All of the siding, eaves, insulation etc. have been removed from the house and Ben will work on removing all the copper and wiring in the next few days (also to be recycled!) The house will be demolished with a couple of pieces of big machinery and hauled away, then Jannette's will come in to rip out the old basement and start digging the basement for the new house. Their house (North Country Homes) comes the week of July 10, so there's still a lot of work to do in a short amount of time.


My biggest worry : How will I do all my laundry? For the last two years, I've spent every Thursday afternoon and evening at my parent's house catching up on my laundry. Our apartment building has one washer and dryer for all 10 units, making it next to impossible to get anything done! I sure will miss the convenience, not to mention the wonderful quality time I spent with my parents!


For now, it's important that I continue to remember that my parents are so deserving of their amazing new house. No matter how much hard work or inconvenience is involved, it will be so worth it to see their huge grins the day the house arrives!



I'm a farm girl...I know how to handle this drill!





0 comments: