My grandpa was one the most wonderful men I'll ever know. He was a Korean War veteran, a farmer, a factory worker, a husband, a father, a grandpa and a great fisherman. He loved to go to farm auctions, watch old Western movies and ride his four-wheeler.
My grandpa was quiet and wise and had a smile that, if he trusted you enough to show it, would make you melt. He always knew the right things to say. He was my brother's best friend.
*This is my brother Ben just minutes after getting this tattoo in memory of my grandpa. My brother was named after Grandpa's brother, Benjamin who died when he was young. Ben and my Grandpa were so close...they were like "brothers."Though I think about him nearly every day, Memorial Day is especially hard. My grandpa loved his country and sacrificed everything to serve in the armed forces. He was awarded the Purple Heart for bravery and on the day he died, still had several small pieces of shrapnel lodged in his back.
I visit his grave often. The cemetery is in the country and there's a large oak tree near where he was buried - I know he'd love it. I'm always sure to sprinkle a few pennies around so he'll know I was there.
Oh man, I miss him. When he was here, everything made sense. Though, it's been nearly three years since he died the pain is still so fresh, so real...much like the tear drops on my keyboard as I write this. Though we didn't often say it, I hope he knows how much I love him.
Love you always, Grandpa! October 10, 1928 - September 4, 2005






0 comments:
Post a Comment