"I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you waste a lot of stuff," my dear husband told me last night.
Me, wasteful? According to him, I had made the mistake of tossing out his nearly empty deodorant and replacing it with a brand new one. Apparently he felt he could get "at least two more weeks" out of the depleted deodorant stick. Never mind that there were less than six centimeters of the blue gel left in the container or that the cap had a huge crack in it from when it fell on the bathroom floor. Excuse me for trying to be helpful and looking out for his person hygeine!
I explained why I had tossed it and tried to reason with him.
"I already bought you new deodorant...instead of trying to eke every last bit out of the old stuff, I thought you could just use the new one," I told him.
Ignoring my explanation, he proceeded to tell me that I also "wasted the ketchup" last week. Apparently he likes to shake the plastic bottle, slam it on the counter and practically stand on his head to get the last drop rather than starting a new bottle. The argument continued with me getting angrier and angrier. Finally we went to bed and decided to continue the "discussion" the next day.
First of all, I take offense to his accusation because I do NOT waste things. I am a huge fan of recycling and I try to re-use whenever possible. That used ketchup bottle? It's now serving as a vase for several tulips. I try to stretch our money whenever possible and I definitely don't buy things unless we need them. When I do buy groceries and other household necessities I try to buy things that are recyclable, have the least amount of packaging, and are economy sized. Good grief. Don't call ME wasteful!
This morning, I noticed he'd changed the toilet paper roll and tossed the "empty" one away. There were still four squares of paper on the roll. I fished it out of the garbage and put it on his night stand. Let's just see who calls whom wasteful, now!
Monday, May 19, 2008
Wasetful Me
Posted by D.M. at 8:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment