I am so thrilled to learn that California has lifted its ban on gay marriage! This is exactly the kind of break through we need! I am blessed to have many friends and even some family members who are gay and I love the fact that our country is slowly starting to accept their lifestyle.
I know this is a very controversial subject for some, but for me it's cut and dry. If two people love each other, are committed, and want to be married they should be allowed. It shouldn't be about one religion or another saying it's "not right" or about close-minded people who are afraid of change. I was raised to believe that God does not make mistakes. To me everyone - despite or in spite of their faults and choices in living - deserves the same equal rights.
Mark is very divided on the issue. He too has family/friends who are a gay and appreciates their lifestyle and love for their partners, but he's concerned that legalizing gay marriage will cause irreparable damage to the economy and government. I can see his point.
Take the movie "I Now Pronounce you Chuck & Larry" for instance. If gay marriage were legalized and dishonest people chose to cheat the system for health care benefits and other conveniences of marriage, that would be wrong. However, what is right is the legal marriage between two women who have lived together and love each other for 20+ years or the two men who have raised a daughter, built a home and rescue pets from the local animal shelter.
Couples who have weathered tough storms, shared in triumphs, and built a life together should be allowed the right and freedom to marry. To think that heterosexual couples who have lived together for an extended period of time but are not married, have rights/provisions in the event their spouse dies prove just how ridiculous it is that same-sex relationships aren't recognized. Where is the justice? The equality for all?
I can only hope and pray that the courage the California politicians have found to make things right will enter the hearts of every politician in every state. I'm just thankful we've taken a step in the right direction...
Friday, May 16, 2008
Created Equal
Posted by D.M. at 3:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment