Monday, May 12, 2008

Not Quite a Mother...

We had such a fun Mother's Day! First we took my mom and dad for brunch at Cobblestone Creek - it was very yummy and we had a lot of fun just spending time together and chatting. Since my parent's house was demolished to make way for their new one, we haven't had much of an opportunity to spend time together. I used to hang out there every Thurs. night to do laundry and I really miss that time!

So anyway, it was great. I wrote a poem for my mom and found about a dozen pics of the two of us from when I was younger and more recently. I put them all together in a photo collage frame and she really, really liked it. Mark, of course, picked out a Snoopy card and we got her a few carnations.

We went over to my in-laws in the afternoon. Mother's Day is tricky over there because all of Mark's siblings like to celebrate with their own little families as well. It was so strange, we only had about 15 people at the farm...one of the smallest groups ever! It was really weird not to have to step over kids to get to the bathroom and to not have to squeeze past 88 people to grab a soda!

We got his mom a beautiful flower bush thing for her garden as well as gift certificates to go golfing and to a local plant nursery so she can pick out a few more things for her garden. I can't wait until Mark and I have a house, so she can come over and teach me how to garden!

I got to spent some quality time with my godson, Jade, as well. He's really turning into quite the talkative young man! I still can't believe he's almost three...the time has just flown by. I also played Gin Rummy with two of my sisters-in-law and my niece, Rachel, while the guys were playing sheepshead. It's always fun to play games...but with the Breckheimer bunch, I always have to watch my back. They are so competitive and they find little ways to "cheat." I'm getting used to it after being around them for four years, but at first it drove me crazy!

Anyway, it was a great day and we had fun spending time with family. The only small "downer" moment was when I ran into Wal Mart later in the day and the cashier told me "Happy Mother's Day!" I just smiled. How awkward. Oh well, I know someday it will happen.

As for me and Mark, we had another in a seemingly endless series of long talks on Saturday. I shared with him what I'm feeling and asked him to try harder and be more conscious of what he's doing and how it affects our relationship. As for my part, I'm going to try not to place expectations on him. I can only hope that he'll want to work on the issues and make an effort. If I expect it and he doesn't come through, I'll end up feel disappointed.

So far, so good thought. He did a load of laundry last night when we got home and this morning he had actually hung up his wet towel. He still left a mess on the bathroom counter and didn't take out the full garbage bag I put by the door, but I guess it's a start.

He's also starting to be more conscious of showing affection in public. When we were first together he thought nothing of holding hands in public or sharing a quick kiss...lately it's like he thinks he'll melt if he shows people we're together. I'm not really sure why and he didn't have an answer when I asked him, but I told him I'd appreciate it if he could at least hold my hand sometimes. For me, it's just a way to re-affirm how much I love him so I don't really understand why it's a big deal.

Yesterday, he came up behind me at his parent's house and rubbed my shoulders while I was playing gin with the girls. That's the one of the first times in the four years we've been together that he acknowledged me or touched me at a fam. event. It's never really bothered me cuz we have so much going on when we're with the family, but it's nice that he's trying.

Ok, that's it. Now I'm just rambling. Til next time...

0 comments: