Thursday, May 8, 2008

Little Moments

I love the show Little People, Big World . I don't know what I'd do without it. The show is great for two reasons: it helps me realize that I should be thankful for the simple things in life, and has opened my eyes to an even greater understanding of diversity.

For those of you that are living in a cave and have no clue about the show I'm referencing, I'll give a little overview. Then, I expect you to crawl out of said cave and turn on TLC on Monday nights...you have no idea what you're missing!

Little People, Big World follows the lives of "little people" (dwarfs) Matt and Amy Roloff and their four children: Jeremy, Zach, Molly and Jake. Three of the children are of average height, and Zach - who is Jeremy's twin - is little.

The messages are clear:

  • Little People can do everything average height people can do, just in a different way.

  • Learn to accept other people's differences.

  • Dream big.

  • Never feel sorry for yourself when you're faced with obstacles. Find another way around them.

Last week, Zach attended his school's winter formal with an average height girl. This was a new experience for him and, it turned out, an experience that brought tears to my eyes.

Zach, Amy and Matt (like how I talk about them like they're my best friends?) are faced with challenges that some people might consider a "handicap." But over the years, they've developed such a positive attitude.... for them, it's not about what they can't do or the struggles they face, it's about what they CAN do and the fun they have along the way.

Like anyone, I have days where I wallow in self pity and think "Why me?" When I feel those emotions starting to creep in, I simply remind myself to appreciate the little things. I'm healthy, I have a wonderful family, I love my husband, the future looks bright...the list goes on an on. Though my blessings are endless, it can be so easy to get sucked into that vortex of feeling sorry for myself and feeling helpless.

I think we've all just got to learn to have faith and be thankful for the little moments. I hope the producers at TLC see this blog post and convince the Roloffs to continue the show. It's completely on their shoulders if they cancel the show and I spiral into a cave of depression. Just so they know. (Smile.)

0 comments: