Saturday, May 24, 2008

Opening our hearts to Adoption

It's no secret that I hope to have a "bunch" of children...I love them! Though I hope Mark and I are blessed to have birth children, my heart is also open to the possibility of adoption.


Mark and I have so much love to give and there are so many wonderful children out there in need of a loving home, that it only makes sense to consider it. Further influencing my hope to adopt is the fact that my sister and brother-in-law recently celebrated the two year anniversary of the day they "got" their son and daughter.


S and G (abbreviated names to protect their identities)wanted a family for many years and simply couldn't have children on their own. After a heart-wrenching failed adoption several years ago, they were thrilled to learn of two toddlers - a brother and sister - who were available for adoption. (I'd love to share their names and a photo of my adorable niece and nephew, but as part of the adoption agreement their birth parents are not allowed to know their location and I simply don't want to risk their safety.)


The kids fit right in with the bunch and quickly became family. In fact, it's weird for me to remember as I'm typing this that they are adopted. They are just so much a part of us. Though they were old enough to remember both their birth parents and their foster parents, it didn't long at all for them to fell comfortable calling S and G "mommy" and "daddy."


It warms my heart to see their family complete after many years of heartache and sorrow and re-affirms my belief in adoption. I would love to have a few birth children and then round out our family through international adoption. Mark isn't really sure how he feels about adoption. He of course loves our niece and nephew and is thrilled that his sister finally has the family she always dreamed about, but he also witnessed first hand the heart break of that first, failed attempt at adoption. He also knows the cost involved - both in the first try and in the successful adoption - and worries about the financial burden adoption can carry.


Of course, I recognize the cost but to me the reward is so much greater - children are such a gift and blessing, no matter how they're packaged. Sure a dark-skinned baby growing up in a Caucasian household and attending a primarily Caucasian school may face some issues, but to help a child find security and love in a world he thought was only full of struggles and pain is the ultimate reward.


I follow several blogs written by adoptive moms and read about the trouble they encounter, but more importantly they share the blessings they've received. Is your heart open to adoption? Visit Adoption.com to learn more.


0 comments: