Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Wonderful Week/Weekend

****Warning: The following is a verrrrrrrrrrrry long post.****

I know I don't always praise Mark for his amazing-ness (it's a word because I say it is) but he really does deserve props for his latest surprise. It all started...

::THURSDAY NIGHT::
I'd known for weeks that Mark wanted me to attend a Ford Expo - something he had to go to for work - with him. I didn't really want to go (Thursday nights are laundry nights at my parent's house)but I figured I'd at least get a yummy meal out of the deal, so I didn't put up too much fuss.

We drove to Green Bay, ate at the Titled Kilt (another story in itself) and headed to the Brown County Arena, right next to the Resch Center where I knew a Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift concert was being held. Mark reminded me of the concert when I commented on the crazy traffic, but didn't say much else.

We parked the car and decided to find a bathroom. As we were walking to the arena, he said to me "You're going to need a ticket to get in." He handed me a ticket and it took probably a full minute (I'm sort of dense) before I realized it was a concert ticket!

I was so psyched! We've seen Rascal Flatts before, at the Resch Center, but I was really, really excited to see Taylor Swift. I find her so inspiring - she writes all her own songs - and she's an amazing performer.

We grabbed a couple of expensive drinks - hey we were treating ourselves - and found our seats. The show was amazing and so much fun! The best part for me was when RF sang "The Broken Road," which is our song.

Since the moment I first heard it, back in 2006, I knew it was the perfect song for us. Here are some lyrics:

"Every long lost dream led to me where you are; others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars, pointing me on my way into your loving arms....this much I know is true...that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you."

We both had a past, each of us carrying heart ache from past relationships - but finding eachother made that all disappear. We declared it our song and used part of the lyrics on our wedding program and, of course, danced our first dance as husband and wife to the sweet words.

So, anyway I had tears in my eyes and Mark held me as the guys belted out our song. All in all the concert was just amazing. They are great performers and the show included balloons and confetti falling from the ceiling, sparks/explosions, and great background graphics.

::FRIDAY::
I woke up and my throat felt raw, my ears were still ringing and my small toe on my left foot hurt because the crazy dancing lady next to us at the concert stomped it a little. I didn't care! We had so much fun, the pain didn't really matter.

We went to Hilbert's football game Friday night. We're enjoying watching Mike (Mark's brother) as the Wolves' new head coach. The team is looking good and is undefeated this season! We sat by my mother and father-in-law and said hi to Mark's sister and her husband and it was nice because Hilbert played Brillion, where our niece Stacy is a cheerleader so we got to see her in action too.

::SATURDAY::
We spent the day Saturday shopping. Mark needed a new outfit for my cousin's wedding (next weekend!) and I needed dressy clothes for my NEW JOB! Yay! Dressing up is going to be a bit of a change for me, though. Right now I'm used to wearing jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts. Now it will be black/gray "slacks" and dressy tops. Thankfully we both found what we were looking for as neither of us really enjoys shopping and we both just wanted to be done.

My new glasses came in yesterday too. I'll have to post a pic later. I really, really like them. I wasn't too sure the day I picked them out, but my mom and the sales lady both assured me they looked nice. By the time I ordered them I had tried on like 30 pairs and, much like shopping, glasses-choosing isn't my favorite activity.

Oh! We also went to see a movie yesterday while we were in Appleton. Not really sure why, since we had just gone to the concert and spent money clothes shopping; but Mark suggested it and I happily agreed. We saw a kind of scary/suspense movie called LakeView Terrace. Definitely keeps ya guessing.

We just sort of vedged last night, which was fine by me. I was tired from all that shopping. Watched SNL and MAD TV. I was surprised to learn that I don't really like either of those shows any more. When I was in high school I loved them! Hmm..funny how our tastes change as we grow older.

::SUNDAY::
Today we went to the apple orchard. We didn't pick apples this year, but we bought some along with a bottle of really good caramel topping. Then we went grocery shopping. When we got home, I made some cheesy hashbrown potatoes. We ate and Mark plopped down in his chair to watch the Packer game. Did some laundry and a bit of cleaning and now I'm whittling away the afternoon catching up on blogging.

SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS...

•Have I mentioned that my brother has a girlfriend? He does! Really! I'm very excited! I'll share more about her after I actually meet her - next weekend!

•I'm going to the doctor on Friday, October 17. I've been having some problems with dizzyness and feeling light headed. I've had some blood pressure and pulse issues in the past (usually low blood pressure and a few times a racing pulse when I donated blood) so I'm hoping to get some answers. I really hope I don't have to go on medication, but if I do I'd rather find out about it now before I start a new job. Certainly don't want to take time off to go to the doctor.

•I'm very excited to start the new job (on Oct 22) but really wish I didn't have to finish out these last 7 days at the paper. Ugh. I'm dreading it already. Oh well, on to bigger and better things, right?

•We're still house hunting. It's still frustrating. Enough said.

•We did lots of "baby talking" this weekend. We're thinking we might hold off for a few more months as most work places require you to be employed at least one year before taking time off for maternity leave. I'm going to wait to see what the employee hand book says about that before we decide anything. If we have to wait a bit longer, I think we'll be ok with that. We want to make sure we have our ducks in a row, and I know it will be a little stressful for us with me starting a new job.

•The Packers are tied 3-3 against Seattle. I'd better go watch, since Mark calls me his "good luck charm."

A FEW PICS FROM THE CONCERT:



0 comments: