Today I finished up my third day at the new job and I can honestly say that I'm loving it! It's a bit of an adjustment to work an entire day, 8 hours straight because I was so used to setting my own hours at the paper. Sure I put in 40+ but I often arranged my schedule to have afternoons off to balance out the extra night and weekend hours I put in. Now, I'm working 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a lunch! Whoa!
I'm really enjoying getting to know my co-workers and I generally enjoy the work I've been doing. I'm obviously still learning, but today I felt much more confident in what I was doing. I just wish I didn't have to bug the lady who's training me so much...seems I'm always asking her questions when she has something else she needs to be doing.
Oh well. I'm guessing in two months or so I will be flying right along. I'm typically a fast learner and since I have background in a lot of the stuff and the programs we use, it seems to be going quickly.
It's been an adjustment for Mark as well as we're very used to talking to each other on the phone several times a day. After a while, I'm guessing I'll be able to talk to him for a few minutes during lunch, but for now I've decided to be extra professional and keep my phone off.
Oh, have I mentioned that it turns out I don't have to wear the super dressy clothes that I thought I'd have to wear? Everyone there wears nicer jeans and dressy tops. I've been wearing my new dress pants because, well I bought four pair and they fit nice (because I shopped in the petite section so they are actually the right length!) and they make me feel good. Something about looking nice and wearing shoes that "click" when I walk, gives me confidence.
So, for the time being I'm going to stick to the nice clothes and the no-talking-on-my-cell-phone rule. At least till I'm really comfortable there and know what's going on.
Anyway, I'm sure you're sick of reading about my job. Tomorrow is going to be a biiiiiiiiiiiig cleaning day for us. I'm serious - we're talking getting up at 7 a.m. and cleaning till noon if we have to.
I want floors/carpet/dishes/bathroom done, bed sheets and pillow cases washed, laundry finished, kitchen counter cleared, tupperware cabinet and canned good cupboards organized, fridge drawers washed, freezer reorganized, mirrors cleaned, bathtub scrubbed, garage cleared out and computer room organized.
We're gonna do it. I'm almost sure of it....
Friday, October 24, 2008
Starting to feel a little less dumb...
Posted by D.M. at 8:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment